Navy?

Started by Queen Caitlin, July 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Queen Caitlin

I'm really interested in being a Navy psychologist. Does anyone in the Navy here have any advice?

Banzai06

July 01, 2014, 08:47:51 PM #1 Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:50:31 PM by Banzai06
I spent 8 years as an Enlisted man, first on a Carrier then a Destroyer, then shore duty. I don't know what it's like much on the side you're looking at though.

Can you be more specific? I can tell you what to expect as far as ship board life. I might also be able to put you in touch with someone that could answer all your questions.

Edit: I've reached out to one of my old officer friends and asked him to get an email address of someone that could specifically help you.
He's currently with a Carrier Battle Group out to sea, and a good officer and great leader.

petriach

The Navy is quite large,so I don't know if it's the same..but in the Air Force medical jobs are one of those things where you should expect to wait a while. Especially for an officer position.

While these are of course highly demanding jobs requiring a good bit of skill and knowledge,a LOT of people who match the requirements want to do the same thing too!

A good thing to do would be to contact your local recruiter and talk to them about what you want to do. They can answer a lot of questions for you.

I too will reach out to some former+active Navy people I know and see if they have any advice. One of them has to know a doc!

(Just as an FYI,they are called ships. If you call 'em boats they get rrreeeeaaaaalllll pissy about it for some reason :P )

Queen Caitlin

DaddyRoxx

Quote from: petriach on July 01, 2014, 11:31:22 PM. . [snip]. .
(Just as an FYI,they are called ships. If you call 'em boats they get rrreeeeaaaaalllll pissy about it for some reason :P )

Unless its a submarine . . go figure . .
"The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made of atoms it can use for something else."
- AI theorist Eliezer Yudkowsky of the Machine Intelligence Research Institute

killersheep (calumwri)

Quote from: DaddyRoxx on July 02, 2014, 01:05:48 PM
Unless its a submarine . . go figure . .

Also referring to them as big jetskis is also looked down on.

Bender

If you join the Navy you'll have to learn to say things like "Seamen" and "Poop Deck" with a straight face.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Turn Down For Crutch

Hole

I joined the Air Force SPECIFICALLY because I couldn't say "Seamen" and "poop deck".  I still can't say it...

I'm still giggling...

maiella

Quote from: Princess Blood on July 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM
I'm really interested in being a Navy psychologist. Does anyone in the Navy here have any advice?

My guess is that you'll need at least a Masters degree in psychology to do this. In good news, having an advanced degree would allow you to be an Officer. Talking with a recruiter might work, but honestly I think you should talk to someone in a ROTC program if you don't already have a degree. If you do, then a recruiter might be your best option. The reason I say you might want to avoid a recruiter first off is because their job is to put butts in basic training NOT to really help you figure out everything. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear even if it isn't completely true.

Good Luck!

Go Up