Re-learning TF2: A Guide to Mann Versus Machine

Started by Bloodh0und, February 16, 2015, 01:31:58 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bloodh0und

February 16, 2015, 01:31:58 PM Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:52:46 PM by Bloodh0und
I'm currently writing a quick-n-dirty guide for those who are new to MvM, but still have a decent number of hours clocked on TF2. In it, I'll discuss the official game dynamics (what you'll see when you Mann Up), the types of robots you'll see, etc. I hope to include some basic strategy, but nothing as in depth as in the guide mentioned below. The guide I'm writing is just what I said it was: quick-n-dirty.
Lastly, for the engineer enthusiasts, I'm also making a guide entirely dedicated to dealing with sentry busters efficiently.

When they're finished I'll post 'em here.

Meanwhile, here's an extremely long (but very useful) guide to the MvM Two Cities Tour. It's got literally everything you need to know about each of the 4 missions, the meta loadout (and ideal upgrades), and tactics for each class in the meta.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you have any questions about MvM, me know. Also, I know Phytophyte loves some MvM action, too! Two resources outside of the Steam Dumbmunnity (a 73% accurate term, measured by 1 guess)

Phytophyte

Quote from: Bloodh0und on February 16, 2015, 01:31:58 PM
Lastly, for the engineer enthusiasts, I'm also making a guide entirely dedicated to dealing with sentry busters efficiently.

Handling a Sentry Buster, from Observing Pubs:

1) Place your Sentry down and take your place next to the Pyro, as the team will most definitely need your m4d sh0tgun 5k1llz. You can let Sentry Buster destroy your Sentry the first time, because you'll either be dead or too far away to save it.

2) Rebuild you Sentry. The rest of the team will probably be telling you to stay by your Sentry this time. When the Sentry Buster arrives, pick up your sentry and run to your allies' side. After all, if they want to play commander, then like a commander, they're going to take responsibility for your safety.

3) Since the Sentry Buster just blew up half of the team -- their fault, I assure you -- a single Scout-bot slipped by and delivered the bomb. Since your team clearly can't handle things, you have to take things into your own hands. Set up your sentry and dispenser all the way back at the hatch in order to catch wayward Scout-bots. If your Sentry does kill a Scout, don't collect the money: you need to be right on top of your Sentry, since those incompetent teammates couldn't handle a simple three Crit-Giant Soldiers and now they're on their way. You'll probably get rolled again, but it's not your fault: you were in position, they weren't.

4) Either you've been kicked, or everyone else left the game. Now you don't have to deal with Sentry Busters until you re-enter queue. Hopefully next time you won't get stuck with such a scrub team.

Zmobie

You would think dealing with the single buster at least is common sense.

• Place Sentry on high point next to an edge of sorts.

•    
  • When the buster gets near pick sentry up and let him begin detonation

•    
  • Jump off said edge while holding sentry

•    
  • ?? ?? ??

•    
  • Profit!

Bloodh0und

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the basics of handling sentry busters. Also, body-blocking is a topic I forgot to mention here, but was reminded of thanks to Phyto :D

DaddyRoxx

As a simple-minded Heavy, I like knowing the Engie can take care of SB's him/herself so I can use my Rage Knockback on the giant Soldiers / Demo's / Ect.
"The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made of atoms it can use for something else."
- AI theorist Eliezer Yudkowsky of the Machine Intelligence Research Institute

Go Up