And after so long...

Started by Endymion, January 18, 2018, 05:03:21 AM

previous topic - next topic

Do you still play Team Fortress 2 to this day?

Yes
2 (40%)
No
2 (40%)
Banana (Yes)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

Endymion

January 18, 2018, 05:03:21 AM Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:04:54 AM by Endymion
So, I'm awake at 5 AM. This never happens.

As I'm looking over [MiT]'s forums, I was reminded that I've been out of touch with most of the other group members, save a select few. (I'm also aware that this is a necropost since the last topic was back in 2015. Don't kill me over this.) It also came to light that the game I've put over 3,000 hours into is over 10 years old. That's a long time. And as time passes, interests change. People change.

Which brings me to the reason behind this post. Some people have moved on from this 10-year-old game, but I'd like to know how many of our members still play TF2 today. And if possible, their reasoning behind it. Me? After 3,000 hours and a few bad financial decisions, I've come to love the game for what it is: a timeless masterpiece that made an awesome community. It can never get old or stale to me.

What about you?

Valoon

I have about 4,300 hours on the game and still play regularly.   I've actually been thinking a lot lately as to why I still play this game, or rather why I still haven't stopped playing after sevenish years.  When I first started playing heavily back in 2012 (although I started playing in 2011),  the main thing that drove me for the first ~200 hours to keep playing was how new and interesting the game was.  I could play solely on 2fort for hours and not get bored.  However, I don't think that the game's mechanics themselves warrant how much time I've put in this game, because after about 800 hours of playing you should know the ins and outs of every weapon and know most of the maps, and there really isn't anything new left to experience after 1,000 hours in-game.  To be honest, what kept me hooked after around 500 hours was two things:  the people I had met through the game and the thought of getting better at the game.  When I came to TF2, I really wasn't in the best place in life, and the connections I made in it were what kept me going, and having something of a hobby gave me something to come home to and unwind with.

But now, seven years later I am in a completely different place in life and in the game.  Nothing in the game is new for me to enjoy.  Many of the communities/teams I've joined, while they hold a place somewhere in my heart, aren't nearly as important to my every day life as they were when I started playing, and at this point I have hit a level of proficiency in the game that I am comfortable with.  Every reason I used to play this game is mostly gone, and when I think about it, the only reason I can come up with for why I still play this game is that when my interest in the communities/getting better/exploring the mechanics started to wane, the pride I felt from how far I've come in the game replaced those things.  I honestly think that this happens with every hobby/activity you might participate in, it's simply natural to get kind of bored just because there's nothing new there for you to learn or get better at, and from there pride takes its place.  Whether you stick with it or not depends on how long that pride can stay strong.  For me, personally, I think that pride is starting to drop off, and as soon as something new for me to latch on to comes along, TF2 will probably no longer be something I play outside of the occasional boot up.

All that said, I'll always love TF2.  It'll always be up there in my favorite games and I will always think of it highly.

Doctor Quark

Me like shoot big shoot.  TF2 have many shoot, so me like.

I'll always love this game, though, like yonder Valoon stated.

Glad I got to spend time with you nerds whenever I was a dopey kid who was on his computer instead of doing his homework like he should have.  I spent so much time on your servers it's basically a second home.

d1duck

I rarely play, probably less than 2 hours this year. It's funny how the games we love can be all consuming one day and then life happens and you wonder where everyone went. Quake 3 was my game for years. I know it caused several divorces and countless ruined relationships. Most of the people I knew from then are lost to me. There are a few that I have on Facebook to this day. I've never met some of them and we are still close friends. We have shared the details of life's ups and downs and helped each other by listening, talking things out, and sometimes real world help. If the community was just about the game then this site and the servers would have closed long ago. I'm glad to have been a part of it:)

Go Up