So long and thanks for all the games!

Started by Dr. Healz, December 02, 2018, 09:33:41 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Dr. Healz

"See ya later!"

When I first started playing on MiT's TF2 servers a number of years ago, I didn't expect to be a part of a community that would be present in my life for years to come.

The year is 2010. Map: Turbine. Game mode: CTF. Just recently moved into my dorm freshman year, and was trying to play on a cheap laptop I purchased in high school. With a low framerate coming from not having a GPU, the best I could do was heal those that could actually contribute to the fight. Which is how I came up with my namesake at the time.

I tried other servers to play on, but they were littered with mandatory ad viewing, paid memberships, and toxic players. I ended up being a regular on MiT servers because mods held players accountable for their behavior and the usual annoyances of other servers weren't present.

After being a regular, I always looked forward to new events. My favorite being dodgeball. They always brought out the best play in our community, and helped build our capability to use teamwork to solve problems. Joining the community helped me build bonds with other members, and having friends to play games with was something that I thoroughly enjoyed while I pursued my degree.

Through my first two years, I struggled in college. I had to exit in 2012 for about a year and a half due to poor performance, and fell into a depression. On top of all that, I had developed medical issues as well. During those times, playing games with MiT members helped keep me afloat despite my surroundings, education/employment status, and medical shortcomings.

I eventually went back to college and finished my degree. Got my medical condition into remission, too. I eventually got my life together, but through the good and the bad, the MiT community was a safe haven for me to have fun.

I just wanted to leave a message to those that still run the community to say one thing. Thank you. This community gave me solace during a very important turning point in my life, and I'm not sure where I'd be if I didn't have you all to spend my time with.

I've moved a lot the last couple of years, and had a lot change. But I still play games! I mostly play fighting games, Street Fighter and Dragonball FighterZ. Occasionally Overwatch too, Smash Ultimate when it comes out. If you want to play, don't be afraid to hit me up.

This isn't a goodbye, so much as a thank you send-off. I'm thankful for what this community gave me over the years, and the people that I got to connect with. And I hope you all find what helps you be happy in life during your most difficult times, like I did here.

Later!

ScooterYDKJ

It was (and still is) an honor and a privilege, Healz.

You take care of yourself, and we'll be seeing you when our paths cross again.
So listen. If you listen to nothing else, listen to this. You're always gonna be afraid even if you learn to hide it. Fear is like a companion. A constant companion, always there. But that's OK. Because fear can bring us together. Fear can bring you home.

d1duck

Go Up